Reworked Player Bank

And, since I missed that reviews were required, here's my updated player bank.

Space 3: skipped

Space 8: The Reliquary, 480 pg. Mystery Genre. Having never read the first in the Pendergast series, I quite enjoyed this one. The characters were good and the storyline easy to follow.

Space 13: The Trumpening, 164 pg. Book about politician. Written completely as a satire I found that I didn't care much for this. It felt like the author was trying to write like Douglas Adams and falling far short.

Space 21: skipped

Space 28: Cabinet of Curiousities, 629 pg. Thriller genre. Rereading this one I found myself enjoying it as much as I had the first time, since characters like D'Agosta made more sense now. Enjoyable storytelling.

Space 33: Doctor Who Rain of Terror. 144 pg. Sci-Fi genre. Not the best book I've read. The Doctor didn't quite feel like what I new from having watched the series and the story seemed rather basic. I like that many Doctor Who stories/episodes have a real twist, and this one seemed to be lacking it.

Space 5: Doctor Who Terrible Lizards, 166 pg. STEM main character. This book is a much better entry into the Whoniverse. The characters seemed consistent with previous portrayals and the story was enjoyable and engrossing.

Space 13: skipped

Space 16: Still Life with Crows, 564 pg. Set in Kansas. Another entry into the Pendergast series, I enjoyed this one as well. The characters were fleshed out well and Pendergast himself took on even more complexity.

Space 22: A Matter of Time, 268 pg. Time travel. This one was a bit of a slog but not horrible. I've read better by Glen Cook, especially is Black Company series.

Space 30: Brimstone, 726 pg. Suspense genre/over 555 pgs. Not the most memorable of the Pendergast series. It wasn't as gripping as the others but I still like Pendergast and D'Agosta.

Space 35: Dance of Death, 582 pg. Police detective/genre. Not a bad entry, although it stretched credibility a bit to see how many wheels within wheels that Diogenes has set up. I have never met with anyone even remotely able to plan that detailed and far ahead.

Space 6: Storm Front, DNF 100 pg. W European setting. This would have been a re-read but I couldn't get into it again.

Space 12: BL space roll: 2 day timeout

Space: Jail Visit. Forgot donation, bad me. Donating 240 pgs from Inferno, read 5/28/17. Enjoyed the rework of Dante's book done by Niven. Much more enjoyable than Ringworld.

Space 23: Wheel of Darkness, 492 pg. Character cries. Re-read of the book. Still enjoyable but makes much more sense after having read Dance of Death.

Space 28: Til Death Do Us Part, 408 pg. Victorian Era. Not as coherent as most of Quick's books. Felt like the twist at the end was thrown in during the last minute, because I didn't even catch subtle clues to it. Usually if there is one it makes much more sense.

Space 34: Dragon Rider, 523 pg. YA/Child on cover. This one was a real push to read and I felt like going DNF a couple times. The characters are not well fleshed out, very two dimensional. The story had far too many "Oh they need something to continue the journey, I just happen to have that something right here". Not much effort to the quest. Will not be re-reading this one.

Space Start: no books, sad me.

Space 6: skipped

Space 8: Fever Dream, 540 pg. Mystery genre. Another in the Pendergast series, this one starts the Helen sub-trilogy. The unraveling of secrets was well done, and the characters consistent with previous books. I enjoyed the reading and observing a normally collect and controlled man lose it when dealing with something so close to his heart.

Space 16: Razzle Dazzle Unicorn, 176 pg. Ends in a 6. Third book in the series and still funny. I enjoy the interplay between the two main characters, and also with the supporting cast. More than one laugh out loud spot.

Space 21: Immortal Nights, 346 pg. Water on cover. Another installment in the Argeneau series, this one was not anywhere near as enjoyable as the others. The two main characters having sex every day they're stranded and trying to make their way to civilization? Not happening. An Enforcer doesn't know to have blood lined up or be prepared to get some for a turning? Not happening. This could have been written as a short and still convey the same story.

Space 27: Halfway to the Grave, 358 pg. Tree on cover. Having read standalone books set in the same world, where these characters are incidental players, I already knew I liked her writing and storytelling. Seeing Cat change her mind about vampires seemed a bit forced at times, as did her romance with Bones. Still enjoyable.

Space 32: Go to jail. The Only Good Dalek, 128 pg, The Dalek Project, 128 pg, and Two Graves 100 pg out of 578 pg. Paid and out.

Space 27: Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears, 408 pg. Tree on cover. Anthology of short stories. Many well known authors, many not so memorable shorts. Not the best collection in the series, but readable.

Space 36: Doctor Who the Placebo Effect, 134 pg, DNF. Space image. The lecture on religion in the middle of the story killed this for me, but even before that the suspense was lacking, the viewpoints confusing and the plot unengaging.

Space 5: skipped

Space 14: Death on Tour, 325 pg. Overseas travel. Another re-read, I still enjoyed it. The writing is easy and engaging. The characters understandable. Knowing the outcome I was able to pick up even more clues scattered along.

Free Book Friday Digging Up the Dirt, 296 pg.

Space 22: Doctor Who Dark Horizon, 307 pg. Time Travel. Vikings, aliens, The Doctor. All in all a good story. Characterization was consistent, motives understandable. Not a bad addition to the Whoniverse.

Space 27 The Beast Master, 124 pg. Author initials in "Tarzan". The characters were the basis for the movie, the book is nothing like it. I enjoyed the book as much as I like the movie. The main character's actions and motivations are easy to identify with. I was a little distracted with the obvious references to the European takeover of the Americas, described in the book by settlers in conflict with natives on alien planet. The secondary plot line of the main character's revenge vendetta was weak, but since it's not integral to advancing the plot, it is easily bypassed.

If my calculations are correct, my bank should be at 124$, including any multipliers and such. Since my most recent roll lands me on space 35, I think I'm going to read From a Buick 8 by Stephen King. Or Joyland by same. Or one of the In Death series by J.D. Robb. Decisions, decisions.